Why spend big bucks for commercial pasta sauce when you can create a superior sauce with a few basic ingredients.
- 2-15.5 or 1 29-32 oz can(s) of crushed tomatoes. My favorite is Cento All Purpose.
- Desired amount of salt. I use up to 1 Tsp of salt depending on sodium content of crushed tomatoes I am using.
- 3 tbs of Italian spice blend. I usually mill a bit with a mortar and pestle before adding to crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbs of the high quality balsamic vinegar.
- 1/2 cup of dry red wine.
- 2-3 cloves of minced or crushed garlic.
- 1/2 cup cooked diced onion.
- Optional sautéed vegetables such as fresh mushrooms, olives, zucchini, bell or other pepper et..
- Optional meat. We usually use ground turkey well cooked or Italian Turkey Sausage, boiled and browned in the a 375 degree oven, rested 5-10 min and sliced before adding to sauce.
I put the crushed tomatoes in a large sauce pan and put on medium. Add the herbs, salt, balsamic vinegar, wine (optional), and garlic and simmer. Sauté onion, mushroom and optional vegetables until nearly done and add to cooking sauce. If meat is desired cook and add to sauce. I usually simmer my sauce for 30-45 min or until my pasta or eggplant is ready and then use as desired.
This sauce can be used for pizza, but without adding the vegetables to the sauce until topping time. I would let it cook a bit longer until reduced to desired consistency.