On the way home from the ranch last night I stopped at Kroger to buy something quick to cook and remembered we had some chicken thighs freshly thawed and ready to be used. I recalled my days as a youth working at an Italian Restaurant and decided to try Chicken Cacciatore. This recipe calls for the use of an electric pressure cooker, in the past I used a skillet but this sped up the process quite a bit.
- Chicken Thighs (we used 4-6 large skinned thighs but it does not matter what you use as long as it is chicken)
- 32 oz Chicken Stock (unsalted for us)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small package of Baby Bella mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small package of Gnocchi
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbs Italian spices
- 1 cup dry white wine
- medium yellow onion, chopped
- bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
Sautee the onion and bell pepper in skillet or cooker on saute setting until onion is translucent.
Add the chicken, stock, can of diced tomatoes, wine, salt, pepper, spices, garlic to Pressure Cooker and set for 12 minutes.
While chicken is cooking, cook the Gnocchi in 5 qts salted water. When Alarm sounds on chicken, add the quartered mushrooms and simmer for about 15-20 min, add Gnocchi and simmer about 5 min longer (or not).
Serve with salad.
Note: We are going to take the leftovers of this from the night before and add rainbow quinoa and zucchini for meal #2.